Peter K. Wahl
Peter K. Wahl’s practice spans a broad range of environmental, health and safety matters. Pete’s involvement with regulatory matters includes counseling regarding federal and state laws, regulations, and permits and their impact on industrial operations. Pete’s regulatory work includes a good deal of involvement with projects related to the remediation and redevelopment of contaminated property. Pete is also involved with the regulation of chemicals and other products under the federal Toxic Substances Control Act and other laws and also the development of programs necessary for American chemicals and other products to comply with the regulations of the European Union and other foreign jurisdictions.
Pete is also regularly involved with transactional matters, including the acquisition and divestiture of steelmaking, electric generation, and oil and gas assets. He is also involved in resolving and managing liability and litigation for clients dealing with sites across the country that have been listed on state and federal Superfund lists or otherwise subject to liability. Pete has also assisted with environmental aspects of several large bankruptcy reorganizations in the steel, chemical, manufacturing, and agriculture industries.
B.A., magna cum laude, Gustavus Adolphus College
M.S., University of Queensland (Australia)
J.D., magna cum laude, University of Minnesota Law School
United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Representation of a fertilizer manufacturer in federal and state enforcement proceedings relating to a significant ammonia release.
- Representation of a chemical manufacturer in an OSHA investigation relating to a plant explosion and resulting injuries.
- Representation of refining, chemical and steel facilities in obtaining and modifying regulatory authorizations for air emission, waste generation, and stormwater and wastewater discharge.
- Representation of a former owner of a pesticide facility and its investigation, remediation, and regulatory closure.
Environmental Litigation Matters
- Representation of a major oil company in a lawsuit filed by the neighbor of a former gasoline service station.
- Representation of a chemical manufacturer in a lawsuit it filed against a former waste broker for contribution under the federal Superfund law and Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act.
- Representation of a number of dairy operators in a lawsuit filed by a local municipality relating to alleged contamination of its drinking water supply.
- Representation of an environmental laboratory manager in a multi-defendant, seven-week federal jury trial involving a 77-count fraud indictment.
- Representation of a private equity firm in its acquisition of a landfill and waste transfer stations.
- Representation of a steelmaker in its acquisition of a large steel mill and numerous other facilities used in the production of oilfield pipe.
- Representation of a major upstream oil and gas company in its simultaneous merger with two other oil and gas companies.
- Representation of clients in the resolution of environmental claims and bankruptcy reorganization of manufacturing and chemical companies.
- Who’s Who Legal: Texas, Environment, 2016, 2019
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Environmental Law, 2013-2021
- Lawyer of the Year, Environmental Law, 2013
- Best Lawyers in Dallas, D Magazine, 2015-2016, 2018-2020
- Rising Star, Thomson Reuters, 2009-2012
- 40 Under 40, Dallas Business Journal, 2010
- Best Lawyers in Dallas Under 40, D Magazine, 2006
- Dallas Bar Association – Environmental Law Section
- Chairperson, 2010
- Executive Council, 2002-2010
- State Bar of Texas Environmental and Natural Resources Law Section, Executive Committee
- American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Dallas Chamber of Commerce Leadership Dallas Class, 2014
- North Texas Business for Culture and the Arts’ Leadership Arts Class, 2009
- USA Film Festival, Board of Directors
- Northridge Presbyterian Church, Ruling Elder