Wayne F. Malecha
Wayne handles a wide range of real estate and other business transactions for property owners and investors. His clients particularly appreciate his ability to offer creative solutions to resolve issues that arise and his overall commitment to getting the deal done.
Wayne has particular experience in commercial leasing, having negotiated numerous leases for office, retail, showroom, industrial and medical office building projects, as well as ground leases and master lease agreements. He regularly represents the owners of Dallas’ most prominent office towers on significant lease transactions, including several recognized as “Deals of the Year” by the Dallas Business Journal in its annual compilation of major real estate transactions in the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex.
Wayne also has considerable experience handling acquisitions and dispositions of commercial real estate, including office, shopping center, multi-family and industrial properties. In addition, he represents lenders in real estate finance transactions, including acquisition, construction and land development financing.
B.A., cum laude, St. Norbert College
J.D., Notre Dame Law School
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Legislation
- William T. Kirby Award for Excellence in Legal Writing
- Concannon Programme of International Law, Notre Dame Law Centre, London, England
- Representation of landlord in 198,000 square foot office lease facilitating the headquarters relocation of the largest Texas-based bank to Dallas (named “Real Estate Deal of the Year” by the Dallas Business Journal)
- Representation of major international health system in the consolidation of its headquarters into a 227,000 square foot campus in Las Colinas (named “Best HQ/Campus Deal of the Year” by the Dallas Business Journal)
- Representation of major entertainment/amusement operator in numerous 40,000+ square foot shopping center/retail leases throughout the U.S. and Canada
- Representation of landlord in 11-year extension of large retailer’s corporate headquarters lease (named “Best Lease Renewal Deal of the Year” by the Dallas Business Journal)
- Representation of international building owner in 160,000 square foot office lease that facilitated the relocation of a Fortune 100 company from California to Dallas (named “Best Headquarters Move of the Year” by the Dallas Business Journal)
- Representation of landlord in 157,000 square foot office lease to a major Texas utility company for its Dallas headquarters
- Representation of international executive office suite provider as tenant in connection with numerous leases throughout the U.S.
- Representation of landowner in connection with the negotiation and drafting of a ground lease for a medical office building project in University Park, Texas
- Representation of tenant in connection with a long-term lease of an acute care hospital facility
Acquisitions and Sales
- Representation of seller in the sale of a major office project in Phoenix, Arizona
- Representation of purchaser in the acquisition of a mixed use development in the Preston Hollow area of Dallas
- Representation of seller in the sale of a 24-acre mixed use project in Dallas’ medical district
- Representation of purchaser in the acquisition of a prominent 36-acre site in Plano, Texas
- Representation of seller in the sale of a premier office building on Turtle Creek Boulevard in Dallas
Farm and Ranch
- Representation of the Receiver for The W.T. Waggoner Estate in connection with the sale of the iconic W.T. Waggoner Ranch, the largest ranch under one fence in the U.S., successfully resolving decades of entrenched litigation
- Representation of leading Michigan-based automotive finance company in connection with numerous mortgage and construction loans to automobile dealerships in the Southwest, Midwest, Great Plains and Rocky Mountain regions of the U.S.
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), Real Estate Law, 2023-2024
- Best Lawyer in Dallas, D Magazine, 2014-2015, 2017-2019
- Dallas 500, D CEO Magazine, 2016
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Dallas County Trail and Preserve Program Board, Chairman
- Housing Crisis Center
- Board Member
- Honored as Pro Bono Attorney of the Year
- Dallas Tennis Association
- Board Member
- HERO Mentor
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association – Real Property Section
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Real Estate Council
- Graduate of the Real Estate Council’s Associate Leadership Council
August 17, 2023Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 287 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2024 Edition, Including 12 “Lawyers of the Year” and 80 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 287 Jackson Walker attorneys across 5 offices and 82 specialty practice areas in its 2024 edition, including 12 Lawyers of the Year and 80 Ones to Watch. In this year’s guide, Jackson Walker saw the largest number of attorneys in the areas of Commercial Litigation (66 attorneys) and Real Estate Law (60 attorneys) and the addition of 35 attorneys as Best Lawyers.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
April 9, 2020Podcasts
With a large number of businesses shut down, the COVID-19 pandemic is putting a strain on relationships between commercial landlords and businesses.
April 19, 2019Attorney News
Twenty-four Jackson Walker attorneys were recognized in the “Best Lawyers in Dallas 2019” list by D Magazine, one of the premier publications in the city of Dallas. To be recognized in the list, attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 40 categories.
July 10, 2018Attorney News
Thirty-three Jackson Walker attorneys were recognized in the “Best Lawyers in Dallas 2018” list by D Magazine, one of the premier publications in the city of Dallas. To be recognized in the list, attorneys must be nominated by their peers on the basis that they offer unmatched counsel in one of 34 categories.
May 8, 2017Attorney News
Jackson Walker is proud to announce that eleven of its attorneys have been included in the “Best Lawyers 2017” list by D Magazine, one of the premier publications in the city of Dallas.
February 26, 2016Attorney News
In a February 24, 2016, Law360 article titled, “Sale of $725M Texas Ranch Was ‘Deal Of First Impression’,” [subscription required] Jackson Walker partners Wayne Malecha and Albon Head discussed the monumental sale of the W.T. Waggoner Ranch, the largest fenced-in ranch in the U.S., earlier this month.
February 16, 2016Client Results
The efforts of Jackson Walker partners Wayne Malecha and Albon Head recently culminated in a real estate transaction of historic proportions, when the iconic W.T. Waggoner Ranch, listed at $725 million, was sold to billionaire NFL team owner Stan Kroenke.
November 11, 2015Attorney News
Jackson Walker partners William Hornberger, Wayne Malecha, and David Moran have been recognized as top business leaders by D CEO magazine in its inaugural edition of the “Dallas 500.”
October 7, 2015Client Results
Jackson Walker successfully represented Air Methods Corporation in its acquisition of San Antonio AirLIFE, a medical transport service owned by Baptist Health System of San Antonio/Tenet Corporation, and Bexar County Hospital District, doing business as University Health System.