Jackson Walker’s Global Reach
Jackson Walker acts for clients engaged in a broad range of transnational activities and provides a full range of corporate, financial, and tax planning advice. Foreign and U.S. clients call upon Jackson Walker to assist in their penetration and development of markets, to provide advice, negotiation skills and connections, and to play a major role in dispute resolution through counseling, litigation, mediation, or arbitration. Jackson Walker has an established network of correspondent law firms and is a founding member of Globalaw™, a network of independent law firms located in more than 65 countries.
Jackson Walker’s international energy practice covers advocacy, negotiations and documentation involving exploration and production projects, pipeline projects, development of gathering and processing plants and other midstream assets, development of gas storage facilities, development of gas fired and thermal electric power plants, evaluation of gas and electric utility transmission and distribution systems, development of LNG plants and extensive matters relating to transportation of LNG, development of petrochemical plants, and financing and operational matters.
The firm’s attorneys handle on a daily basis transactions involving Mexican companies doing business in the United States and U.S. companies investing in or trading with Mexico, and Jackson Walker’s Litigation Section handles the resolution of disputes arising from transnational transactions involving Mexico.
Membership in Globalaw
Globalaw™, The International Law Group, is a worldwide network of independent law firms, comprising firms representing over 65 jurisdictions. Through Globalaw and the other relationships established by Jackson Walker with attorneys throughout the world, Jackson Walker attorneys have access to local attorneys in foreign jurisdictions with the skills and connections essential for our clients’ development of their foreign businesses.
Jackson Walker is a founding member of Globalaw™ and its attorneys are regular participants in the national and international meetings of the network and its practice groups. Active involvement in the network has allowed the firm’s attorneys to establish close relationships that enable Jackson Walker to provide effective foreign counsel for U.S. clients doing transnational business.
All of the Globalaw™ firms share common characteristics. Most are of medium size, as defined by their various jurisdictions, with the ability to devote personal attention to their clients. Many are active in the International Bar Association. All have broadly based commercial, corporate, and business practices. All have litigation capabilities and transnational as well as domestic practices.
While Globalaw™ is an informal network of independent, self-governing firms, it remains an invaluable forum through which Jackson Walker attorneys have access to international information, developments, and foreign counsel to enable us to work with the firm’s clients to provide legal advice and access to business particularities in foreign jurisdictions.
The firm’s practice representing U.S. based investors and businesses in their efforts to reach global markets includes:
- Access to foreign markets through agency, distributor, franchise and joint venture agreements;
- Structuring, negotiating and documenting mergers, acquisitions of companies and assets, and strategic alliances;
- Establishment of foreign operations, including organization of foreign entities, movement of U.S. personnel to foreign countries, and related labor, benefits and tax issues;
- Litigation, mediation, and arbitration;
- Protection of intellectual property abroad and the licensing of technology and intellectual property;
- Letters of credit and other financing of equity and debt requirements; and
- Handling international tax issues and disputes with taxing authorities.
For foreign entities and other foreign persons, Jackson Walker attorneys act in the United States to do the following:
- Defend clients sued or involved in arbitration in the United States or pursue remedies for foreign entities or individuals in United States in State and Federal courts and through arbitration;
- Advise upon and implement the issuance of shares and ADRs or other equity by foreign issuers in the United States securities markets, both public and private;
- Prosecute patent, trademark, and copyright matters, including licensing of technology;
- Advise upon domestic and foreign tax matters, including tax treaty problems and direct and indirect foreign tax credit matters, and provide counseling for general tax and business planning;
- Structure, negotiate and document acquisitions and dispositions of companies (public and private) and assets to achieve clients’ tax, legal, and business strategies;
- Structure sales and/or leasing transactions, with a particular emphasis on representation, distribution, licensing, franchising, and financing agreements;
- Negotiate and document joint venture agreements and strategic alliances;
- Advise upon trade matters;
- Counsel clients regarding compliance with treaties and regulations;
- Provide advice and processing regarding visa, immigration, and naturalization matters;
- Counsel clients on U.S. estate planning, working with their local advisors, and prepare wills and trusts to implement the plans; and
- Select and establish appropriate investment structures to achieve client goals.
May 13, 2021
~9.5 minutes | Following a shift in U.S. presidential administrations and changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Christian Triantaphyllis, who leads the Investment Immigration practice, covers some potential changes and current trends in the EB-5 industry and for its investors.
May 11, 2021
Christian Triantaphyllis Named to ‘EB5 Investors’ List of “Top 25 Immigration Attorneys” for Fourth Consecutive Year
In EB5 Investors Magazine’s listing of the “Top 25 Immigration Attorneys” of 2020, Christian Triantaphyllis was featured among the industry’s leading and most influential EB-5 attorneys for the fourth consecutive year.
May 3, 2021
Christian Triantaphyllis shared insights on the newly restored USCIS policy that addresses the issue of deference in prior petition determinations.
April 12, 2021
12 p.m. CDT | Wednesday, April 14, 2021
In light of increased legislative changes to immigration law, Sang Shin will discuss the uptick in court filings as a result of inconsistent practices by the various governmental departments that oversee and decide on immigration benefits.
February 11, 2021
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently made an announcement that they will begin accepting registrations for the upcoming 2022 H-1B fiscal year starting on March 9, 2021 at 12 p.m. ET.
February 10, 2021
Jackson Walker partner Christian Triantaphyllis will participate in an upcoming joint webinar with EB5 Affiliate Network, a leading EB-5 consultancy and regional center operator, to share insights the EB-5 immigrant investor visa program. The webinar, “EB-5 Source of Funds: Loans and Gifts + Recent USCIS RFE Issues,” will be on Thursday, February 11, 2021, at 1 p.m. CST.
January 15, 2021
What Happens to President Trump’s Immigration Proclamations During President Biden’s First 100 Days?
Jackson Walker immigration attorney Sang Shin rejoins the podcast to provide an update on the Trump administration’s recent proclamations to extend bans on all new H-1, L-1, and J-1 visas until March 31, 2021.
November 18, 2020
Leading up to January 20th, Sang Shin discusses current immigration policy and what changes may occur under a Biden administration.
August 20, 2020
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
August 12, 2020
Effective October 2, 2020, any application, petition, or request postmarked on or after the effective date must be accompanied with the adjusted fees listed in this article.