Jackson Walker’s Global Reach
Jackson Walker acts for clients engaged in a broad range of transnational activities and provides a full range of corporate, financial, and tax planning advice. Foreign and U.S. clients call upon Jackson Walker to assist in their penetration and development of markets, to provide advice, negotiation skills and connections, and to play a major role in dispute resolution through counseling, litigation, mediation, or arbitration. Jackson Walker has an established network of correspondent law firms and is a founding member of Globalaw™, a network of independent law firms located in more than 65 countries.
Jackson Walker’s international energy practice covers advocacy, negotiations and documentation involving exploration and production projects, pipeline projects, development of gathering and processing plants and other midstream assets, development of gas storage facilities, development of gas fired and thermal electric power plants, evaluation of gas and electric utility transmission and distribution systems, development of LNG plants and extensive matters relating to transportation of LNG, development of petrochemical plants, and financing and operational matters.
The firm’s attorneys handle on a daily basis transactions involving Mexican companies doing business in the United States and U.S. companies investing in or trading with Mexico, and Jackson Walker’s Litigation Section handles the resolution of disputes arising from transnational transactions involving Mexico.
Membership in Globalaw
Globalaw™, The International Law Group, is a worldwide network of independent law firms, comprising firms representing over 65 jurisdictions. Through Globalaw and the other relationships established by Jackson Walker with attorneys throughout the world, Jackson Walker attorneys have access to local attorneys in foreign jurisdictions with the skills and connections essential for our clients’ development of their foreign businesses.
Jackson Walker is a founding member of Globalaw™ and its attorneys are regular participants in the national and international meetings of the network and its practice groups. Active involvement in the network has allowed the firm’s attorneys to establish close relationships that enable Jackson Walker to provide effective foreign counsel for U.S. clients doing transnational business.
All of the Globalaw™ firms share common characteristics. Most are of medium size, as defined by their various jurisdictions, with the ability to devote personal attention to their clients. Many are active in the International Bar Association. All have broadly based commercial, corporate, and business practices. All have litigation capabilities and transnational as well as domestic practices.
While Globalaw™ is an informal network of independent, self-governing firms, it remains an invaluable forum through which Jackson Walker attorneys have access to international information, developments, and foreign counsel to enable us to work with the firm’s clients to provide legal advice and access to business particularities in foreign jurisdictions.
The firm’s practice representing U.S. based investors and businesses in their efforts to reach global markets includes:
- Access to foreign markets through agency, distributor, franchise and joint venture agreements;
- Structuring, negotiating and documenting mergers, acquisitions of companies and assets, and strategic alliances;
- Establishment of foreign operations, including organization of foreign entities, movement of U.S. personnel to foreign countries, and related labor, benefits and tax issues;
- Litigation, mediation, and arbitration;
- Protection of intellectual property abroad and the licensing of technology and intellectual property;
- Letters of credit and other financing of equity and debt requirements; and
- Handling international tax issues and disputes with taxing authorities.
For foreign entities and other foreign persons, Jackson Walker attorneys act in the United States to do the following:
- Defend clients sued or involved in arbitration in the United States or pursue remedies for foreign entities or individuals in United States in State and Federal courts and through arbitration;
- Advise upon and implement the issuance of shares and ADRs or other equity by foreign issuers in the United States securities markets, both public and private;
- Prosecute patent, trademark, and copyright matters, including licensing of technology;
- Advise upon domestic and foreign tax matters, including tax treaty problems and direct and indirect foreign tax credit matters, and provide counseling for general tax and business planning;
- Structure, negotiate and document acquisitions and dispositions of companies (public and private) and assets to achieve clients’ tax, legal, and business strategies;
- Structure sales and/or leasing transactions, with a particular emphasis on representation, distribution, licensing, franchising, and financing agreements;
- Negotiate and document joint venture agreements and strategic alliances;
- Advise upon trade matters;
- Counsel clients regarding compliance with treaties and regulations;
- Provide advice and processing regarding visa, immigration, and naturalization matters;
- Counsel clients on U.S. estate planning, working with their local advisors, and prepare wills and trusts to implement the plans; and
- Select and establish appropriate investment structures to achieve client goals.
September 17, 2021
Carlos Treviño has been elected a council member of the International Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, which was created to develop the practice of international law in Texas, bring international perspective to the State Bar, and to provide ILS members with networking and educational opportunities.
September 15, 2021
Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 11.00 EDT • 16.00 CEST • 21.00 ICT
Join Globalaw for a webinar discussing business and legal risks in cross-border transactions, best practices in pre-transaction due diligence and post-transaction compliance, and how to effectively conduct an internal investigation or defend and manage a government investigation.
August 19, 2021
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
July 29, 2021
Christian Triantaphyllis will participate in a joint webinar with EB5 Affiliate Network to discuss recent changes to the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program and what investors should know about the temporary reduction of the standard minimum investment amount. The webinar, “Direct EB-5 Investment at $500K with Top Immigration Attorneys – What Investors Should Know for Direct EB-5 Investment,” will take place on Thursday, July 29, 2021, at 1 p.m. CT.
July 21, 2021
By Christian Triantaphyllis
As of June 30, 2021, the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Regional Center Program has lapsed, and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has since rejected any submissions received on or after July 1, 2021, of the forms I-924 and I-526.
June 24, 2021
Judge Voids EB-5 Immigrant Investor Modernization Rule, Restoring Old Investment Amounts and Targeted Employment Area Standards
By Christian Triantaphyllis
On June 22, 2021, Magistrate Judge Jacqueline Scott Corley of the Northern District of California ruled that Former Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan exceeded his statutory authority in issuing the July 2019 EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program Modernization Rule, which implemented substantial changes to the EB-5 investment immigration program.
May 13, 2021
~9.5 minutes | Following a shift in U.S. presidential administrations and changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Christian Triantaphyllis, who leads the Investment Immigration practice, covers some potential changes and current trends in the EB-5 industry and for its investors.
May 11, 2021
Christian Triantaphyllis Named to ‘EB5 Investors’ List of “Top 25 Immigration Attorneys” for Fourth Consecutive Year
In EB5 Investors Magazine’s listing of the “Top 25 Immigration Attorneys” of 2020, Christian Triantaphyllis was featured among the industry’s leading and most influential EB-5 attorneys for the fourth consecutive year.