Literature & Periodicals
Jackson Walker has counseled authors and independent publishers of various literature and periodicals, including novels, "tell-all" books, trade books, textbooks, newspapers and magazines. From development through publication and beyond, our attorneys have successfully helped clients navigate through the legal and business waters of the publishing industry.
Of note for local newspapers and other news outlets is the fact that our attorneys were integral to the preparation and passage of The Texas Free Flow of Information Act, which creates a qualified privilege for journalists against the compelled disclosure of confidential news sources and non-published work product. Read more about Jackson Walker's participation in shield law efforts here.
Representative services provided include:
- Preparation and negotiation of publishing industry agreements, including life rights agreements, novelization agreements, ghostwriter agreements, literary agent agreements, and book publishing agreements
- Pre-publication review of new literary works and periodicals
- Protection, enforcement, management and exploitation of literary and subsidiary rights, including film, television and electronic rights
- Literary property dispute resolution
- First Amendment defense of newspapers, publishers and authors
- Respond to subpoenas demanding access to the confidential news sources and non-public work product of print news journalists and news outlets
Representative clients include:
- Magazine publishers
- Book publishers
Please contact one of our entertainment law practitioners for more information.
© 1999 - 2013Jackson Walker L.L.P. · All Rights Reserved · Unless otherwise noted, attorneys not certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.