Art Cavazos is a finance and corporate lawyer who focuses his practice on complex financial transactions and other business matters. His clients include companies from a range of sectors including finance, healthcare, energy, real estate, construction, and technology. His transactional experience includes M&A, private placements, entity formation and governance, and general contract negotiations.
Art’s significant finance experience includes representation of both lenders and borrowers in a variety of transactions, including syndicated, bilateral and club facilities, secured and unsecured facilities, first, second lien and mezzanine facilities, revolvers and term loans, acquisition financings, commercial real estate and construction loans, asset based loans, reserve based loans, commodities and derivatives transactions, and others. He has also helped guide lenders and borrowers through distressed loan workouts and bankruptcy debtor-in-possession financings.
Moreover, Art’s diverse transactional practice affords him broad experience that enables him to identify problems, find solutions, and help clients achieve their goals. This includes advising companies on mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring and governance, private debt and equity securities offerings, and other complex business transactions.
B.B.A., Texas A&M University
- National Merit Scholar
- President’s Endowed Scholar
J.D., Columbia Law School
- Operations Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Represented BBVA Compass Bank, as lender, in connection with $45 million revolving loan and $5.3 million term loan credit facility for building materials supply company borrower.
- Represented Texas Capital Bank, N.A., as lender, in connection with amendment and restatement of multiple credit facilities secured by commercial real estate for group of affiliated borrowers.
- Represented Bank of America, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with $725 million revolving credit facility to Memorial Resource Development Corp.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as borrower, in connection with $500 million revolving credit facility and $125 million second lien term loan facility.
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with distressed workout of $200 million revolving credit facility to Emerald Oil, Inc., as borrower, and subsequent bankruptcy financing.
- Represented major institutional lender, as administrative agent, in connection with $75 million second lien term loan facility to oil and gas exploration and production company.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a public mobile advertising solutions provider in its transformative acquisitions of three international mobile advertising companies valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented Abraxas Petroleum Corporation in connection with the exchange of $3.2 million in cash, 2 million shares of Abraxas Petroleum Corporation stock and certain surface estate real estate for certain oil & gas assets from Blackbeard Resources, LLC.
- Represented matchmaking company with operations in Austin and San Antonio, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of its assets by Dallas-based matchmaking company, as buyer.
- Represented regional owner-franchisee of national fast food chain, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of the equity in its operating company.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as a counterparty, in connection with nine ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented multinational automatic teller machine operator, as a counterparty, in connection with four ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented technology startup, as issuer, in connection with $2 million second-round secured notes offering.
- Represented fund, as purchaser, in connection with the purchase of $5 million notes from technology startup, as issuer.
- Represented microwave radiation pathogen sterilization company, as licensee, in connection with the licensing of its technology to multinational baked goods company.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Banking and Finance Law, 2022-2023
- Corporate Law, 2022-2023
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018-2022
- Business & Corporate
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018, 2020-2022
- Business & Corporate
- Securities and Corporate Finance
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Columbia Law School, Reunion Committee Co-chair
- U.S. Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional (Building Design and Construction)
- Advisory Board Member, Justice Technology Association
March 15, 2023Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Next in Fashion: Influencers, IP, and Sustainability
Outside of Jackson Walker, William Nilson runs a bespoke clothing consultancy, and Courtney White reaches the masses through her Courthouse Couture blog and social media. In this episode of FRB, Erin and Art engage in a conversation with William and Courtney about fashion and the intersection of art and business.
February 15, 2023Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Your New Co-Worker?: AI, Automation, and the Rise of ChatGPT
In recent months, a new AI-powered chatbot has made its way to the forefront of conversations about innovative technology. However, ChatGPT is just one example of how artificial intelligence and machine learning seem poised to become as integral to business as the internet and the computer. While many embrace the advances of AI and automation, others still struggle with the looming fear that their jobs may one day be replaced by AI. On this episode of FRB, we take a dive into AI and automation, and how it may influence industries in the near future.
~26 minutes | JW Future-Ready Business Podcast
January 18, 2023Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Value-Based Care and the Changing Healthcare Landscape
Following the pandemic, many industries have experienced major shifts in the way that they do business. In the forefront is the healthcare industry, which was forced by the pandemic to consider the benefits of value-based healthcare, as opposed to more traditional fee-for-service models, when the world shut down. On this episode of FRB, Erin Camp and Art Cavazos discuss with Dr. Lane Aiena what exactly value-based care is and how the business landscape in the healthcare industry is changing.
33~ minutes | JW Future-Ready Business Podcast
December 14, 2022Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Cryptocurrency: A Commodity, a Security, or a Scam?
Despite recent setbacks and scandals, cryptocurrency and other blockchain technologies are increasingly being utilized in the finance and corporate world. However, transitioning to legitimacy also means regulation, which raises new questions about how cryptocurrencies will be treated by government agencies such as the CFTC and the SEC.
~28 minutes | JW Future Ready Business Podcast
November 17, 2022Newsletters
JW Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter – November 2022
View Jackson Walker’s November 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
November 16, 2022Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Corporate Responsibility and the Spirit of the Law
What are the rights and responsibilities of corporations and other types of companies? It’s a question that has been asked since corporations were first created, and the answer has changed over time. On this episode of FRB, hosts Erin Camp and Art Cavazos discuss with tech CEO and co-founder Yousef Kassim the ever-evolving field of corporate responsibility.
~43 minutes | JW Future-Ready Business Podcast
November 2, 2022Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Startup Series: Introduction
When talking about business innovation, startup companies are so fundamental that it’s a topic we’ll return to from time to time on FRB as part of our series on startups. For now, we’ll begin at the beginning and discuss what a startup is, the startup ecosystem, startup culture, and how all of that has changed over time.
~25 minutes | JW Future-Ready Business Podcast
October 27, 2022Podcast: Future-Ready Business
Introducing the Future-Ready Business Podcast
Art Cavazos and Erin Camp are two business lawyers with a simple question: what do today’s businesses and communities need from tomorrow’s business and community leaders? Tune in as they discuss emerging topics that are quickly affecting everyone, like AI, automation and advanced robotics, cryptocurrency and blockchain, the metaverse, and the continually evolving tech startup scene.
September 6, 2022Attorney News
‘Scene in S.A.’ Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” List
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.