Art Cavazos is a finance and corporate lawyer who focuses his practice on complex financial transactions and other business matters. His clients include companies from a range of sectors including finance, healthcare, energy, real estate, construction, and technology. His transactional experience includes M&A, private placements, entity formation and governance, and general contract negotiations.
Art’s significant finance experience includes representation of both lenders and borrowers in a variety of transactions, including syndicated, bilateral and club facilities, secured and unsecured facilities, first, second lien and mezzanine facilities, revolvers and term loans, acquisition financings, commercial real estate and construction loans, asset based loans, reserve based loans, commodities and derivatives transactions, and others. He has also helped guide lenders and borrowers through distressed loan workouts and bankruptcy debtor-in-possession financings.
Moreover, Art’s diverse transactional practice affords him broad experience that enables him to identify problems, find solutions, and help clients achieve their goals. This includes advising companies on mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring and governance, private debt and equity securities offerings, and other complex business transactions.
B.B.A., Texas A&M University
- National Merit Scholar
- President’s Endowed Scholar
J.D., Columbia Law School
- Operations Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Represented BBVA Compass Bank, as lender, in connection with $45 million revolving loan and $5.3 million term loan credit facility for building materials supply company borrower.
- Represented Texas Capital Bank, N.A., as lender, in connection with amendment and restatement of multiple credit facilities secured by commercial real estate for group of affiliated borrowers.
- Represented Bank of America, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with $725 million revolving credit facility to Memorial Resource Development Corp.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as borrower, in connection with $500 million revolving credit facility and $125 million second lien term loan facility.
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with distressed workout of $200 million revolving credit facility to Emerald Oil, Inc., as borrower, and subsequent bankruptcy financing.
- Represented major institutional lender, as administrative agent, in connection with $75 million second lien term loan facility to oil and gas exploration and production company.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a public mobile advertising solutions provider in its transformative acquisitions of three international mobile advertising companies valued in excess of $1 billion.
- Represented Abraxas Petroleum Corporation in connection with the exchange of $3.2 million in cash, 2 million shares of Abraxas Petroleum Corporation stock and certain surface estate real estate for certain oil & gas assets from Blackbeard Resources, LLC.
- Represented matchmaking company with operations in Austin and San Antonio, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of its assets by Dallas-based matchmaking company, as buyer.
- Represented regional owner-franchisee of national fast food chain, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of the equity in its operating company.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as a counterparty, in connection with nine ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented multinational automatic teller machine operator, as a counterparty, in connection with four ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented technology startup, as issuer, in connection with $2 million second-round secured notes offering.
- Represented fund, as purchaser, in connection with the purchase of $5 million notes from technology startup, as issuer.
- Represented microwave radiation pathogen sterilization company, as licensee, in connection with the licensing of its technology to multinational baked goods company.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch (Woodward/White Inc.)
- Banking and Finance Law, 2022-2023
- Corporate Law, 2022-2023
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018-2022
- Business & Corporate
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018, 2020-2022
- Business & Corporate
- Securities and Corporate Finance
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Columbia Law School, Reunion Committee Co-chair
- U.S. Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional (Building Design and Construction)
- Advisory Board Member, Justice Technology Association
September 6, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker congratulates the 42 practicing attorneys in the San Antonio office who were included in Scene in S.A.’s 2022 “Best S.A. Lawyers” list.
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 1, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
April 21, 2022Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s April 2022 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
March 7, 2022Speaking Engagements
Art Cavazos, Chris Rourk, and Erin Camp to Present How to Avoid Top Mistakes Startups Make in SBIR/STTR Proposals
Jackson Walker attorneys Art Cavazos, Chris Rourk, and Erin Camp will present “Start-Up Pitfalls: How to Avoid the Top 10 Mistakes Start-Ups Make” during the 2022 SBIR/STTR Workshop Series on April 6, 2022. Presented by Texas A&M University, the workshop series will discuss key items in crafting successful proposals.
February 11, 2022Attorney News
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce the election of 14 attorneys to the Firm’s partnership on Friday, February 11, 2022. In addition to electing 14 new partners, the Firm also congratulates Bart Cicuto, Noah Speck, and Austin Thomas on their promotion from associates to senior counsel.
January 25, 2022Attorney News
To be selected for inclusion in the “Rising Star Lawyers” list, junior attorneys with 10 or fewer years in practice must be nominated by senior attorneys who have at least 15 years of experience practicing law.
October 14, 2021Client Results
Digital Turbine, a public leading independent mobile advertising solutions provider, has completed more than $1 billion in cross-border deals in 2021 through the acquisitions of Fyber, AdColony, and Triapodi (d/b/a Appreciate).
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.