“Having worked with Bryan on many complex transactions over the years, it is clear to me Bryan is an outstanding lawyer, with a history of excellence and unparalleled reputation among his colleagues in the industry.”Joe Behrens, Principal, Trammell Crow Company
Bryan Birkeland is a versatile transactional attorney, recognized for the depth of his experience in real estate, international and energy matters. His practice currently focuses on U. S. inbound and outbound real estate investments, consulting clients in a variety of product types and locales.
Bryan’s engagement by Texas, national and international clients has spanned development, redevelopment, purchases and sales of various real estate and energy product types and voluntary and involuntary restricting and rearrangement of distressed assets. Engagements have related to assets throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Latin America, Europe and Asia.
Bryan’s varied experience enables him to creatively identify practical, efficient approaches to the challenges presenting by assets or portfolios of assets. Prior challenges includes the designation and redevelopment of an urban center historical district; the assemblage, planning and development of several 1,000 acre plus suburban communities; workouts involving over 4,000 assets; and the acquisition and disposition of an 82 asset industrial portfolio.
Bryan was born near the Canadian border near a city frequently announced as a daily “coldest in the US”, but was rescued by his father’s business relocation to San Antonio, Texas, where he was high school student body president, and proceeded to wander up Interstate 35 to the University of Texas, and then to Jackson Walker in Dallas. At Jackson Walker he joined its management committee in 1984 and since 1994 coordinated the firm’s participation in the founding of its international law firm network which has grown from 18 firms at inception to 108 today, ranking in the top 10 networks worldwide.
- Land assemblage, infill development and redevelopment, suburban and urban
- Farm and ranch acquisitions and dispositions
- Mixed use development
- Vertical development, sales and acquisitions
- Retail – all product types from malls to grocery -anchored and neighborhood products
- Office – garden, mid-level and high rise
- Multifamily – town homes, garden, mid and high rise, urban and recreational, and condominium
- Industrial – e-commerce, logistics and distribution
Certain of the above have been incidental to multi-jurisdictional and tax advantaged structures, financing related to the above, governmental incentives and unique historical or site specific considerations.
Current Representative Transactions
- Acquisition of two of four anchors and inline shops in connection with redevelopment of a regional mall
- Acquisition of suburban corporate campus in connection with redevelopment of the site with $275,000,000 mixed use development
- Exchange with municipality to facilitate client’s retail development and adjacent professional sports training facility
- Up to 44 tract central city redevelopment assemblage
- Assemblage of three urban sites for current development of over $350,000,000 of multi-family and mixed use development
- Acquisition of two historic hotels and golf resort destination community
Bryan has previously served and currently serves as President of Globalaw Ltd., previously a Vice President and the Chairman of Globalaw’s Membership Committee and a member of its Executive Committee.
Prior to entering private practice, Bryan lectured on oil and gas law at the University of Texas.
- Dallas Bar Association, International, Energy, and Real Estate sections
- Texas Bar Association, International, Energy, and Real Estate sections
- ImPACt Dallas
- Community Leadership Committee
- Past Director of The Real Estate Foundation
- Past Director of Dallas Zoological Society
- K-Life Dallas
- Lawyering in the International Market and International Asset Securitization, Center for International Legal Studies Conference, Chairman
News & Events
Best Lawyers in America Recognizes 94 Jackson Walker Attorneys
In Cooperation with Globalaw Affiliate, Jackson Walker Achieves Favorable Results for Client
Network Ties Together Top Global Lawyers
Bryan Birkeland Named President of Globalaw
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its Best Lawyers in America 2016
Jackson Walker Named Globalaw Firm of the Year for the Americas
Jackson Walker Hosts Inaugural Globalaw Managing Partner Forum
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its Best Lawyers in America 2015
Jackson Walker Recognized in Dallas Business Journal’s “Best Real Estate Deals of the Year”