Carlos R. Treviño
Carlos R. Treviño is a corporate and securities attorney with extensive experience handling both domestic and cross-border transactions for clients in a wide variety of industry sectors. He focuses his practice primarily on mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, and general corporate matters.
Having previously served as in-house counsel, Carlos has a deep understanding of the challenges his clients face and is able to provide strategic advice to help clients effectively analyze and structure transactions to achieve their business goals.
Before joining Jackson Walker, Carlos served as senior in-house counsel for a large multinational company based in Monterrey, Mexico. While at this company, Carlos acted as lead counsel in mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures in Mexico, Guatemala, Brazil, and Chile. He also worked extensively on a wide variety of corporate matters, including the negotiation of domestic and international contracts in the U.S., Mexico, Central and South America. Prior to his tenure as in-house counsel, Carlos was in private practice with a large law firm based in Mexico City, where his practice concentrated on corporate matters, including complex mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures.
LL.M., University of Texas School of Law
M.B.A., Thunderbird School of Global Management and Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
LL.B., Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey
Carlos regularly advises domestic clients in the full range of corporate and transactional matters, including mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and complex capital and financing transactions. Carlos’ domestic practice encompasses a diversity of industries, including healthcare, manufacturing, and technology, among others.
- Advised Regal Oil, a San Angelo-based petroleum products supplier, in the sale of convenience stores and a portfolio of dealer supply accounts in West Texas.
- Advised Austin Wood Recycling, the nation’s largest mobile contract grinding and recycling service, in the acquisition of a Fort Worth-based provider of mobile contract grinding, delivery, and green waste recycling services.
- Advised the owners of Knox Oil Field Supply, Inc. in the company’s acquisition by Applied Industrial Technologies, Inc.
- Advised Starmount, Inc., in a Series A growth capital investment from Kayne Partners.
- Advised an Austin-based property owner in a refinancing transaction of two skilled nursing facilities insured by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the Section 232 LEAN program.
- Advised Pronto General Agency, Ltd. and its affiliates in a significant investment by Palladium Equity Partners, LLC.
Being licensed in Texas and Mexico, Carlos is well-positioned to help clients effectively negotiate complex cross-border transactions. He routinely assists domestic clients with M&A and complex corporate transactions in Mexico and Latin America and advises U.S. clients wishing to expand internationally. Carlos regularly advises international corporate clients and foreign individuals with regard to all aspects of doing business in the United States.
- Advised a Monterrey, Mexico-based company in a $130 million syndicated loan.
- Advised a Mexican manufacturer of steel products in connection with a $150 million credit facility.
- Advised a Mexican manufacturer of aluminum products in connection with a $60 million credit facility.
- Advised a Mexican multinational company in the acquisition of a steel manufacturing company located in the State of Missouri.
- Advised a Mexican investor in the acquisition of a large chemical manufacturing plant located in the Midwest of the United States.
- Advised shareholders in the sale of a medical device distribution company to a U.S. subsidiary of a European company.
- Advised U.S. companies and individuals purchasing and selling real estate in Mexico, both in and outside of the restricted zone.
- Advised U.S. companies and financial institutions in drafting loan documentation for credit issued to Mexican borrowers secured by collateral in the U.S. and Mexico.
- Advised U.S. companies establishing operations in Mexico and other Latin American countries.
- University of Texas School of Law, Adjunct Professor
- State Bar of Texas International Law Section, Council Member, 2021-Present
- Austin Bar Association, Past-Chair of the International Section, 2015
- Ex-A-Tec Association and Thunderbird Alumni
- Austin Working Group on Sustainable Development, 2012
August 24, 2023Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s August 2023 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
July 17, 2023Client Results
Jackson Walker represented Grupo Cuprum, S.A.P.I. de C.V. (“Grupo Cuprum”), the largest aluminum extruder in Latin America, in the closure of a new $280 million syndicated loan. BBVA México acted as Sole Lead Arranger and Bookrunner for the transaction.
October 5, 2021Newsletters
View Jackson Walker’s October 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
September 17, 2021Attorney News
Carlos Treviño has been elected a council member of the International Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, which was created to develop the practice of international law in Texas, bring international perspective to the State Bar, and to provide ILS members with networking and educational opportunities.
August 30, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Serves as US Counsel to Grupo Lamosa in Acquisition of Grupo Roca’s Flat Ceramic Division
Jackson Walker acted as U.S. counsel to Grupo Lamosa, S.A.B. de C.V., one of the world’s leading ceramic tile manufacturers, in the purchase of Grupo Roca’s flat ceramic division for $260 million. The transaction includes the acquisition of Tiles Investments and Holdings, SL and its subsidiaries, which have a presence in Spain, Brazil, and the United States.
August 23, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Periscope Holdings in Sale to Create North America’s Leader in Public eProcurement
Jackson Walker represented Austin-based eProcurement company Periscope Holdings, Inc. in the sale of its business to mdf commerce inc. for $207 million. Through the acquisition, mdf commerce is positioned to become a public eProcurement leader in North America.
July 8, 2021Client Results
Jackson Walker Advises Grupo Cuprum in Sale of Two Mexican Subsidiaries to National Material of Mexico
Carlos Treviño and Michael Flatter advised Grupo Cuprum, the largest aluminum extruder in Latin America, in its sale of two Mexican subsidiaries to National Material of Mexico, a subsidiary of National Material, L.P. The deal was announced on July 1, and terms were not disclosed.
November 11, 2020Client Results
After a delay as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Regal Oil, Inc. completed the sale of 14 Star Stop convenience stores and a portfolio of dealer supply accounts to Majors Management LLC.
June 29, 2020Client Results
With its acquisition of Fort Worth-based Thelin Recycling Company, Austin Wood Recycling becomes the nation’s largest mobile contract grinding and recycling service.