Venture Capital & Emerging Companies | JWStartup
Cultivating your success.
JWStartup is a startup-focused legal practice that helps emerging growth companies, from formation and funding, to growth and exit opportunities. We represent clients investing in startups. Our lawyers work closely with company founders and investors to bring the necessary skills, resources, and relationships to help start and grow businesses. We have substantial experience serving in the outsourced General Counsel role – providing fast-growing companies and their executives with a sounding board and single point of contact for their legal needs.
What JWStartup Can Do For You
- Equity Financings
- Bridge Financings
- Structuring Equity Compensation
- Intellectual Property Protection
- Strategic Alliances & Licensing
- Joint Ventures
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Initial Public Offerings
- Government Contracts
- Technology Transfers
- Inbound/Outbound Licensing
- Outsourcing and Privacy
Technology and Endowment Funds
- Served as Fund counsel in the formation of Geekdom Fund early stage technology fund, $15MMM follow-on fund and continued representation of the Fund’s Investment Committee
- Represented a university endowment in a $7.5MM technology company investment in a South Korean technology company
- Represented an early stage fund in a Series Seed preferred stock investment in a social media customer relationship and support management application provider
- Representing a university-sponsored investment fund in creating and establishing its technology start-up seed investment program, including advising the fund on its program investment terms, structure and agreements and representing the fund on its specific seed investment transactions.
Software and Cloud Services
- Represented eSupply Systems, LLC, an e-procurement software and group purchasing services company, in its sale to RealPage, Inc. (NASDAQ:RP)
- Represented an angel investor in a $1MM investment in seed funding of a sports app technology company
- Represented a family office in an investment through a SAFE (simple agreement for future equity) in software developer which enables streamlined virtualization
- Represented an electronic file transfer software and hosted services company in the tax free spin-out of public subsidiary in the technology space from publicly traded parent in the telecommunications space
Digital Content and Big Data
- Served as lead counsel in an angel round including conversion of convertible bridge notes issued in prior capital raise and also assisted with IP portfolio development, including mobile device app strategy and cloud data strategy
- Represented an institutional investor in its $40MM investment in Series B preferred securities of a content creation company
- Represented a company that provides cloud solutions for ecommerce in the sale of the company
- Represented the leading provider of shopper-aware and responsive in-store displays in a Series A funding with continued participation from existing investors
- Represented the founders of an internet eSports industry company in equity development services including initial seed series preferred stock rounds and 2 bridge financing rounds
- Represented a medical technology company in its organization, initial seed funding, and negotiation of complex company agreement with multiple investors
- Represented a female incontinence medical technology company in its convertible note financing and seed financing rounds
- Represented an optical technology company with five series of preferred stock raises and bridge rounds
- Represented a start-up company in the healthcare field with a roll-up of medical professionals in various practice areas
- Represented a company that has created an online healthcare job search platform in connection with its convertible note financing
- Represented a healthcare analytics start-up with a Series A financing
Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical
- Represented a biotech start-up regarding transfer tech licensing agreements and follow up on Series A financing
- Represented a Fund in connection with an investment in a biotechnology company focused on the discovery and development of therapies for patients with neurodegenerative diseases, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, ALS and others
- Represented a university endowment in a $10MM Series C preferred equity investment in a biotech company investment
- Represented a private equity fund that was the lead investor in a Series A-3 preferred interest investment round by a specialty pharmaceutical company
Manufacturing, Engineering and Construction
- Represented a manufacturing company with disruptive technology in a Series A equity and drawdown credit facility
- Represented an angel investor in connection with an investment in Series A preferred units of a developer of a mapping engine for construction projects and related architectural/engineering plans
- Represented a fund in its purchase of $2MM of Series A preferred stock in an anti-corrosion coatings and lubricants manufacturing company
- Represented energy start-up in $500MM private equity funding
- Represented founding investor group in multiple investments in an oilfield data collection, storage, visualization and decision analytics software services provider that manages production and pipeline systems
- Represented an energy industry crowdfunding company with the initial founder repurchase agreements and restructuring of ownership
- Represented a company in the private placement of multiple series of preferred stock by energy storage application company, including negotiation of financing by state- sponsored early stage investment fun
- Represented investor group in a frac water treatment venture through multiple rounds of investment
Food and Beverage
- Represented an alcoholic beverages start-up on its initial $10MM Series A preferred financing and roll-up acquisitions of two alcoholic beverage companies
- Represented an alcoholic beverages start-up on its initial $5MM seed funding
- Represented the founder of Mexican food chain in connection with immigration, structuring, formation, funding and intellectual property matters
- Represented a fund in its purchase of $2MM of Series A preferred stock in an organic foods retail delivery and wholesale company
- Represented a women’s athletic wear start-up in its convertible notes financing
- Represented a start-up aquaculture company in a Series A equity financing and debt financing
- Investor counsel in an investment in a water treatment startup for a US market company with a Korean parent company
- Represented a company that provides educational services that connect industry professionals to teachers and students in connection with its formation and convertible note and seed financings
- Represented lead angel investor in Series A preferred offering by empowering women entrepreneurs start-up
December 10, 2018
Stephanie Chandler Guides Technology Startup Investors on Startup Valuation, Red Flags, and Raising Money
San Antonio Business Journal shared insights from Stephanie Chandler discussing startup valuation, red flags, and raising money.
June 29, 2018
Jackson Walker is proud to congratulate San Antonio partner Stephanie L. Chandler for her inclusion in The Business Journals’ “Influencers: Law” list. Issued on June 28, 2018, the list identifies 100 attorneys from across the nation who have influenced the business and legal communities.
September 27, 2017
Public benefit corporations, which are recognized in over 30 states, have now been adopted in Texas.
August 15, 2017
Jackson Walker has been listed among firms with Leading Collaboration in a new report by BTI Consulting Group.
We maintain close ties with angel investors, venture capital funds, high-net-worth individuals, and family offices, and we regularly help startups as they obtain seed, angel, and venture capital financing. We also help institutional and individual investors and venture capital funds in their investment activities. Because of our relationships and experience, we can assist you throughout the funding process and ensure that you understand the terms of the funding and the impact of the funding on your capital structure.
As your business grows, you will need to address Board governance, HR matters, equity compensation plans, strategic relationships, third party contracts, and regulatory and compliance matters while you focus on managing the growth of your business. JWStartup can address these legal needs, enabling you to focus on your core business.
As your business enjoys greater success, you will need to consider significant growth and exit opportunities, such as strategic joint ventures, a sale of the company, or an initial public offering. JWStartup regularly helps businesses in these types of transactions and can help you determine the best opportunity and successfully navigate the transaction.