“No one ever wants to need an attorney. However, when you do, you want one who is at the top of their game, steady, smart, cost effective, and above all, makes you feel comfortable with the vision, strategy and the path forward. Jay Rutherford is all of those in one attorney.”Eric V. Fox, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co.
Jay has over 25 years of experience representing management clients in all types of employment litigation and serving as a trusted advisor to clients in dealing with employee issues. Jay’s proactive approach often enables clients to anticipate and resolve employment issues before they end up in court; however, when litigation is unavoidable, Jay is a skilled and zealous advocate for his clients with a track record for achieving results.
Jay’s litigation experience includes having successfully represented clients in labor issues, employment discrimination, wrongful termination, sexual harassment, civil rights, and other employment-related matters. In his advisory role, Jay counsels clients on all aspects of personnel and employment policies and practices and all matters affecting the employer-employee relationship and compliance with all state and federal employment laws and regulations, including:
- Discrimination and wrongful termination laws
- The Fair Labor Standards Act
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Acts of 1964 and 1991
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- The Americans With Disabilities Act
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- All other state and federal labor and employment statutes
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
Jay has been the hiring partner for the Fort Worth office since 2013 and became co-chair of the Labor and Employment practice group for Jackson Walker in 2014.
- State Bar of Texas – Labor and Employment Section
- American Bar Association – Labor and Employment Section
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Labor and Employment Law section, Chairman, 2003-2004
- Past Secretary, Treasurer, Vice-Chairman, and Chairman
- Texas Institute for Education Reform, Board of Directors
- Texas Association of Business
- General Counsel, 2015-Present
- Statewide Chair, 2007
- Texas Association of Business – Tarrant County Chapter, Chairman, 1999
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization – Labor & Employment Exam Commission, Examiner, 2014
- Texas Institute for Education Reform Board, Director, 2015-Present
- Texas Lyceum
- Chairman, 2010
- Past President, 2009
- Vice President of Finance
- Executive and Nominating Committees
- Junior Achievement of the Chisholm Trail
- Board of Directors, 1996
- Past-Chairman of the Board
- Former member, Executive Committee
- Past Vice President
- Past Secretary/Treasurer
- First Texas Council of Campfire USA
- Past Chair, Board Member, and Vice Chairman
- Leadership Fort Worth Class of 2000
- Texas Association of Business, Lecturer
- Lorman Business Institute, Lecturer
News & Events
- News & Publications
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its Best Lawyers in America 2016
Legal talent, human touch
Jay Rutherford Joins the Board of Directors of the Texas Institute for Education Reform
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2014 Fort Worth ‘Top Attorneys’
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its Best Lawyers in America 2015
Jay Rutherford Speaks at the 2014 Texas Association of Business and SHRM Employment Relations Symposium
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2013 Fort Worth “Top Attorneys”
Jackson Walker attorneys selected for 2014 The Best Lawyers in America
Jay Rutherford Presents Nolan Ryan with the 2012 Stewardship of Texas Values Award
Jackson Walker Congratulates Its 2012 Fort Worth “Top Attorneys”
Anna Trimble Speaks on Food Truck Leases to the ABA
"Effect of Sarbanes-Oxley on Employment Law"
"Basic Sexual Harassment Training and Guidelines"
"Employee Privacy: Monitoring and Controlling Employee Conduct"
"Employment At Will"
"Employment Issues for the Cattle Raiser"
"Fair Credit Reporting Act"
"Fair Labor Standard Act"
"Harassment is a Form of Discrimination"
"Headline News: The Latest in Law Developments"
"Hiring the Right Employee Legally"
"Interplay Among the ADA, FMLA and Worker’s Compensation Statute"
"Joint Employment Relationship and the EEOC"
"Keeping Your Company Out of the Courthouse"
"Managing Your Employee Issues for Your Business"
"Performance Evaluations: Documenting Employee Discharge"
"Reductions In Force: Here We Go Again"
"Responding to EEOC and TWCCRD Charges of Discrimination"
"Sarbanes Oxley - If they Whistle While They Work"
"Sexual Harassment - A Refresher and Developments"
"Texas Headline News"
"The Alphabet Soup of Employment Law"
"The Hiring Process: Hiring Do’s and Don’ts"
"The Latest Employment Developments"
"Things To Know About the Hiring Process, Documenting Employee Performance & Participating in the Disciplinary Process"
"Top Ten Things to Know Before You Fire an Employee"
"Understanding the Law and the Status of the At-Will Employee"
"Update On Recent Employment Changes and Trends"
"Update on Recent Employment Law Changes and Trends"
"Worst Things to See on Your Performance Evaluation"