Art Cavazos, Jr. is a finance and corporate lawyer who focuses his practice on complex financial transactions and other commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions, private placements, entity formation, governance issues and general contracting needs. His clients include companies from a range of sectors including finance, healthcare, energy, real estate, construction and technology.
Art’s significant finance experience includes representation of both lenders and borrowers in a variety of financing activities, including syndicated, bilateral and club facilities, secured and unsecured facilities, first lien, second lien and mezzanine facilities, revolvers, term loans, acquisition financings, commercial real estate and construction loans, asset based loans, reserve based loans, commodities and derivatives transactions, and others. He has also guided lenders through distressed loan workouts and bankruptcy DIP financings.
Art’s diverse corporate practice affords him wide-ranging experience that enables him to spot issues, find solutions and guide clients to achieving their goals. This includes everything from assisting startups and small businesses with forming their first entity and navigating their early growth and financing needs, to advising mature mid-sized companies on contract negotiations, day-to-day operations and structuring, negotiating and closing major transactions.
B.B.A., Texas A&M University
- National Merit Scholar
- President’s Endowed Scholar
J.D., Columbia Law School
- Operations Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Represented BBVA Compass Bank, as lender, in connection with $45 million revolving loan and $5.3 million term loan credit facility for building materials supply company borrower.
- Represented Texas Capital Bank, N.A., as lender, in connection with amendment and restatement of multiple credit facilities secured by commercial real estate for group of affiliated borrowers.
- Represented Bank of America, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with $725 million revolving credit facility to Memorial Resource Development Corp.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as borrower, in connection with $500 million revolving credit facility and $125 million second lien term loan facility.
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., as administrative agent, in connection with distressed workout of $200 million revolving credit facility to Emerald Oil, Inc., as borrower, and subsequent bankruptcy financing.
- Represented major institutional lender, as administrative agent, in connection with $75 million second lien term loan facility to oil and gas exploration and production company.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Abraxas Petroleum Corporation in connection with the exchange of $3.2 million in cash, 2 million shares of Abraxas Petroleum Corporation stock and certain surface estate real estate for certain oil & gas assets from Blackbeard Resources, LLC.
- Represented matchmaking company with operations in Austin and San Antonio, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of its assets by Dallas-based matchmaking company, as buyer.
- Represented regional owner-franchisee of national fast food chain, as seller, in connection with the purchase of substantially all of the equity in its operating company.
- Represented oil and gas exploration and production company, as a counterparty, in connection with nine ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented multinational automatic teller machine operator, as a counterparty, in connection with four ISDA Master Agreements and schedules, each with a major institutional swap dealer.
- Represented technology startup, as issuer, in connection with $2 million second-round secured notes offering.
- Represented fund, as purchaser, in connection with the purchase of $5 million notes from technology startup, as issuer.
- Represented microwave radiation pathogen sterilization company, as licensee, in connection with the licensing of its technology to multinational baked goods company.
- “Best S.A. Lawyers” List, San Antonio Scene, 2018-2020
- Business & Corporate
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- “Rising Star Lawyers” List, Business & Corporate, San Antonio Scene, 2018, 2020
- San Antonio Bar Association
- Columbia Law School, Reunion Committee Co-chair
- U.S. Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional (Building Design and Construction)