View our Jackson Walker Alumni page »
While we miss having you as part of the Jackson Walker team, we look forward to staying connected through our biannual Alumni Newsletter and our Jackson Walker Attorney Alumni group on LinkedIn. In this newsletter, we spotlight former JW attorneys, review pro bono opportunities and success stories, share the latest news, insights, and events from around JW, and provide helpful resources like free CLE programs.
Share Your News
Have you received an award, participated in community organizations, or been hired or promoted? We want to hear about anything new and noteworthy happening to our alumni. To share your news, you can fill out this form.
You can also keep current and past Jackson Walker attorneys updated through our LinkedIn group, Jackson Walker Attorney Alumni.
Former Jackson Walker partner Danielle Needham is the current Deputy General Counsel of Global Labor & Employment at Bell Textron. In this Q&A, Danielle discusses her role, her time at the firm, and where she sees her career heading. View the Q&A »
JW Alumni News
- Theresa Terrell was named the 2022 Houston Senior Counsel of the Year by the Association of Corporate Counsel’s Houston Chapter and The Texas Lawbook. View Theresa’s profile featured in the Lawbook »
- Chris Cravey has joined Chemex Global as VP, Commercial and Legal.
- Nicole Metcalf was appointed Senior Director – Associate General Counsel at Capital One Financial Services.
- Gabby Rawlings has joined the legal department of DHI Communities.
- Elena Villasenor Sullivan is serving as the Outreach & Program Recognition Coordinator and Immediate Past Director of the Bexar County LEAD Academy, a women’s leadership academy focused on developing the talents of women lawyers in and around Bexar County. Elena is General Counsel at Massage Heights.
Hiring Foreign Professionals Could Help Alleviate U.S. Labor Shortage
By Kelly Cobb | There are visa categories that can help alleviate the worker shortages for many industries by enabling the hiring of legal nonimmigrant workers.
Five Challenges and Remedies for Effective Implementation of Employee Resource Groups
By Jamila Brinson | The introduction and ongoing implementation of employee resource groups (ERGs) is vital for companies of all sizes and all backgrounds. This article addresses best practices for effectively introducing and sustaining ERGs.
Overview of the DOJ’s New Priorities to Combat Corporate Crime
By Jennifer Freel, Erica Giese, and Bethany Pickett | As Department of Justice officials outline new steps the department will be taking in its ongoing efforts to police corporate crime, this article covers key areas the DOJ is focusing its efforts in the coming months.
Three Key Provisions in New “Weatherization” Rules
By Taylor Holcomb | The Railroad Commission of Texas intends to begin inspecting facilities for compliance with new Statewide Rule 66 soon after December 1, 2022, with possible penalties of up to $1 million for violations. View this article for a high-level summary of key provisions in the newly adopted “weatherization” rules.
PRO BONO UPDATE
Jackson Walker Secures Stay of Execution of Death Row Inmate
On August 16, 2022, Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt issued a 60-day stay, effective September 2022, of the impending execution for death row inmate Richard Glossip in the State v. Glossip case. Christina Vitale and Michael Drab, supported by Jackson Walker’s Houston research services team, assisted Reed Smith LLP in its continuing investigation of this case. Read more »
Mississippi Man Gets Second Chance at Post-Conviction Review
Jennifer Freel and Emily Rhine won an appeal at the Fifth Circuit for a Mississippi inmate who was fighting to have his habeas corpus petition heard. The Fifth Circuit held that the lower court had miscalculated the deadline for filing his petition by failing to include a 90-day period during which the client could have sought U.S. Supreme Court review of the underlying conviction. The opinion gives certainty to other Mississippi inmates who are trying to figure out when to file their habeas petitions and to the courts who are deciding those petitions. Jennifer and Emily represented Mr. Wallace pro bono, along with Bryan Gividen, who is an attorney working in-house. Jennifer argued the case on behalf of Mr. Wallace. Read more »
Jackson Walker Welcomes New Partners
Healthcare | Houston
Healthcare | Austin
Litigation | Dallas
Litigation | Fort Worth
Litigation | Houston
- The Texas Supreme Court ruled in June 2022 that Texas Central Railroad & Infrastructure Inc. has eminent domain authority, greenlighting its proposed high-speed rail project. Robert Neblett and Jennifer Caughey led Jackson Walker’s representation of Texas Central in this major appellate victory. The team included Brad Anderson, Danica Milios, and Adam Aston. JW served as co-counsel with Vinson & Elkins LLP. Read more »
- Novaria Group, a leading manufacturer of specialty hardware, components, and coatings for the aerospace and defense industries, recently completed its acquisition of STROCO Manufacturing, Inc. This deal marks the sixth acquisition Novaria has announced from December of 2021 through July of 2022. Evan Malloy led the JW team handling each transaction for Novaria. Read more »
- The Court of Appeals of North Carolina has ordered the dismissal of Safran Helicopter Engines from a case resulting from a 2017 helicopter accident in North Carolina for lack of personal jurisdiction. Brad Brown and Justin Lee represented Safran Helicopter Engines in the case alongside co-counsel Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP. Read more »
- As part of its commitment to sustainability, the Dallas Zoo in collaboration with Fort Worth-based composting facility Silver Creek Materials has created Zoo Poo, a compost product made with manure from the Zoo’s elephants, giraffes, and other herbivores. Justin Shipley, as General Counsel of the Dallas Zoo, and Shannon Zmud Teicher assisted the Zoo in the agreement with Silver Creek Materials that allowed for the creation of the product. Read more »
- Chip Babcock and Joel Glover represented Megalomedia, the production company behind TLC’s “My 600-lb Life,” in a case brought by a group of past subjects of the reality show. In its opinion, the Texas Thirteenth Court of Appeals reversed the trial court’s denial by operation of law of Megalomedia’s motion to dismiss the plaintiffs’ claims pursuant to the Texas Citizen’s Participation Act and Megalomedia’s established affirmative defenses. Read more »
- Manny Schoenhuber and Dawn Holiday led the representation of a client in an employment arbitration tribunal by the American Arbitration Association. On May 20, 2022, the arbitrator awarded the client, who was the respondent in the counterclaim, every single dollar presented in the damages model, including pre- and post-judgment interest and attorneys’ fees. The team included Scott Fiddler with assistance from Denise Chatham and Miguel Villalpando. Read more »
JW Participates in Mansfield Rule 6.0 Certification Process
Jackson Walker proudly announces the Firm’s participation in the Mansfield Rule 6.0 Certification process! the Mansfield Rule has become the standard for firms to track and measure their success in growing the diversity of their management committees, promoting attorneys from underrepresented communities to partnership, and ensuring diverse representation in client pitch meetings. Read more »
Giving a Voice Through The Tiny Talker
As the mother of a once-nonverbal son, Brittani Rollen and her husband, Ryan, developed an alternative speaking device, named The Tiny Talker, to help their son and other nonverbal children learn to communicate their needs. Recently, Brittani, Ryan, and their son, Lucas, shared the story behind the simple, low-cost push button speech tablet. View the interview »
Texas Medical Association Foundation Award
Barron Bogatto accepted the Corporate Leadership Circle Award presented to Jackson Walker by Texas Medical Association Foundation. We are grateful for this recognition and are proud to support the TMA Foundation, which helps Texans improve their health through science-based education, access, and community activities.
Mike Nasi Briefs United Nations on CCUS
Mike Nasi spoke at the United Nations on August 1, 2022, at a high-level briefing for the Group of 77 and China on Carbon Capture Utilization and Storage (CCUS). The presentation focused on how the commercial-scale adoption of CCUS can lower emissions of CO2 and assure global energy growth, enabling the Group of 77 to successfully address both energy poverty and CO2 emissions. Read more »
World Rugby Council
The World Rugby Council met in Dublin and voted for the USA to host the 2031 (men’s) and 2033 (women’s) Rugby World Cups. Our own Bob Latham was in attendance as a member of the World Rugby Council and the lone USA representative to the Council. With the USA set to host these future events, Bob noted that this will have a seismic effect on rugby in the United States.
DISCO Fireside Chat
Chevazz Brown and DISCO CEO Kiwi Camara sat down for a fireside chat on September 12, 2022, as Kiwi shared DISCO’s journey from a small startup to a $2.4 billion IPO.
ICYMI—IN OTHER NEWS:
- Chip Babcock was elected a Center for American and International Law trustee.
- Jennifer Caughey was appointed to the Texas Board of Disciplinary Appeals.
- Jennifer Freel was named a trustee of the Texas Supreme Court Historical Society.
- Joel Heydenburk is following in the late Susan Halsey’s footsteps as he leads the Real Estate Council of Greater Fort Worth (REC of GFW).
- Willie Hornberger was presented with a Financial Executive Award for outstanding public service by D CEO.
- Andrew Ingrum joined American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA).
- Jonathan Lass received the Adjunct Professor of the Year Award by the Student Bar Association of The University of Texas School of Law.
- Pamela Madere received the Corporate and Transactional Attorney Award by the Travis County Women Lawyers’ Association (TCWLA).
- Lionel “Lonnie” Schooler joined the council of the American Bar Association’s Dispute Resolution Section.
- Robert Soza serves as a 2022-2023 Texas Bar Foundation Nominating Chair for District 10.
- Peter Wahl is now chair of the State Bar of Texas Environmental & Natural Resources Law Section.
- Chambers and Partners has selected 48 attorneys and 16 departments for inclusion in the 2022 edition of the Global and USA guides. Attorneys recognized in the guides were ranked in 23 practice tables, with two attorneys listed among multiple practice areas. View the rankings »
- The Best Lawyers in America recognized 214 JW attorneys in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Congratulations to our Lawyers of the Year, Wade Cooper, Nancy Hamilton, Kevin Kelley, Pamela Madere, William McDonough, Jed Morrison, Cindy Brotman Nelson, James Pledger, Scott Rose, Pat Sharkey, and Katherine Staton! View the full list »
- Congratulations to our 64 attorneys named to Thomson Reuters’ 2022 “Texas Super Lawyers” list! This year, Julia Mann was selected to the “Top 50: Women Super Lawyers” and “Top 50: Central/West Texas Super Lawyers” lists, and Alfie Meyerson, Kurt Nondorf, and Bruce Ruzinsky were named “Top 100: Houston Super Lawyers.” Read more »
Our JW Recruiting team has posted several openings across the firm. You can visit our Lateral Attorneys page for a look at open positions. Also, please feel free to share opportunities with your networks.
Diversity & Inclusion
Visit our Diversity & Inclusion website to view our 2021 Diversity & Inclusion Report. For our quarterly news, see our Diversity & Inclusion Newsletter, Perspectives.
Launch of USA Business Digest
We launched the USA Business Digest, a newsletter by Manny Schoenhuber that covers legal insights for European companies and investors in the United States.
Fast Takes Podcasts
On each episode of our Fast Takes podcasts, JW attorneys discuss quick, actionable takeaways to help you and your business navigate today’s complex, interconnected landscape.
These materials are made available by Jackson Walker for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, and are not a substitute for legal advice from qualified counsel. The laws of other states and nations may be entirely different from what is described. Your use of these materials does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and Jackson Walker. The facts and results of each case will vary, and no particular result can be guaranteed.
© 2022 Jackson Walker