Robert F. Ruckman
Robert F. Ruckman is a partner in the litigation section of Jackson Walker in Dallas. His practice primarily involves representation of airlines, aircraft or aircraft component part manufacturers and aviation insurers or individuals involved in aviation or related businesses. He has served as lead counsel in complex multidistrict air carrier and product liability litigation.
Bob has extensive trial experience, with numerous jury and non-jury trials in state and federal courts. He is Board Certified in Civil Trial Law and Personal Injury Trial Law.
B.A., Trinity University
J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of Texas
Civil Trial Law
Personal Injury Trial Law
- Serving as lead counsel for product defendant in litigation arising out of crash of Air France Flight 447
- Served as lead counsel for defendant airline in federal multi-district litigation and state court cases arising from crash of Flight 5966 near Kirksville, Missouri
- Defended aircraft engine manufacturer in case arising out of accident in Brazil and obtained defense verdict in Tarrant County, Texas
- Defended air show sponsor in jury trial in Houston arising from collision of Warbird aircraft during air show and obtained favorable verdict
- Defended bank in wrongful death case arising out of aircraft accident and obtained a favorable jury verdict in Hidalgo County, Texas
- Obtained defense verdict for airline in jury trial arising from major air carrier accident that occurred in San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Euromoney’s Aviation Expert Guide, 2017-2018
- The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White Inc.), 2007-2023
- Lawyer of the Year – Dallas/Fort Worth, Transportation Law, 2018
- Lawyer of the Year – Dallas/Fort Worth, Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 2016
- Aviation Law, 2021-2023
- Commercial Litigation, 2012-2023
- Legal Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2012-2023
- Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants, 2011-2023
- Transportation Law, 2007-2023
- Who’s Who Legal: Texas
- Aviation, 2018-2019
- Transport, 2016
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, 2013-2019
- Ranked for Transportation: Aviation: Litigation – Nationwide
- “Texas Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers by Thomson Reuters, 2003-2005, 2007-2019
- Euromoney’s Litigation and Product Liability Expert Guide, 2016
- Best in Civil Litigation Defense, Super Lawyer’s Corporate Counsel Edition
- The International Who’s Who of Aviation Lawyers, 2014
- Guide to the World’s Leading Aviation Lawyers
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Panel Moderator, “Mock Trials, A Global View: What’s New in Aviation and Space Law – Litigation in the U.S. and Abroad,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Aviation & Space Law Committee (October 2014)
- “Aviation Trends and Strategies,” Inside Minds: Strategies for Transportation Litigation and Dispute Resolution (December 2013)
- Panel Moderator, “Mock Settlement Negotiation, Trial Tactics and Skills for the Aviation Practitioner,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Aviation & Space Law Committee (October 2012)
- “ER in the Skies: In-Flight Medical Emergencies,” 33rd Annual SMU Air Law Symposium, Dallas, Texas (February 1999)
- “In-Flight Medical Emergencies: An Update on the Aviation Medical Assistance At of 1998,” Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University’s 13th Annual Aviation Law/Insurance Symposium, Daytona Beach, Florida (January 2000)
- “ER in the Skies: In-Flight Medical Emergencies,” Vol. 65 Journal of Air Law and Commerce, Winter 1999
- “Use of Automated External Defibrillators by a U.S. Airline,” New England Journal of Medicine, October 26, 2000 (contributed legal content for the article)
- “Cardiac Arrest at 30,000 Feet,” Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia, June 2006, Vol. 20 No. 3 (Case conference / Co-author of section pertaining to liability for responding to in-flight emergencies)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association Forum Committee on Air and Space Law
- Aviation and Space Law Committee
- Tort and Insurance Practice Section of the American Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilot’s Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association, Fellow
- Dallas Bar Association, Fellow
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Swiss Avenue Historic District, President
August 18, 2022Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 214 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2023 Edition, Including 11 “Lawyers of the Year” and 41 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 214 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 79 specialty practice areas in its 2023 edition, including 11 Lawyers of the Year and 41 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 19, 2021Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 178 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2022 Edition, Including 8 “Lawyers of the Year” and 31 “Ones to Watch”
The Best Lawyers in America has recognized 178 Jackson Walker attorneys across 6 offices and 67 specialty practice areas in its 2022 edition, including 8 Lawyers of the Year and 31 Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas.
August 20, 2020Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 164 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2021 Edition, Including 9 “Lawyers of the Year” and 25 “Ones to Watch”
Jackson Walker congratulates the 164 attorneys who were selected by their peers as Best Lawyers, including 9 Lawyers of the Year and 25 Ones to Watch, across 6 offices and 66 specialty practice areas.
September 4, 2019Attorney News
Each year, less than 5% of attorneys in Texas are named to the list. Selection is based off of peer nominations that are then reviewed by a research team.
August 14, 2019Attorney News
‘The Best Lawyers in America’ Honors 109 Jackson Walker Attorneys in 2020 Edition, With Eight Named “Lawyers of the Year”
Jackson Walker congratulates our 109 attorneys named to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Lawyers in America 2020 list, including eight attorneys who were named “Lawyers of the Year.”
April 29, 2019Spotlight
Chambers and Partners Recognizes Jackson Walker Attorneys and Practices Among 2019 USA and Global Guides
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce that Chambers and Partners has selected 27 attorneys and nine practice areas for inclusion in the 2019 edition of the global and USA guides.
August 16, 2018Attorney News
Best Lawyers listings are based on an exhaustive peer review survey of thousands of attorneys who vote on the legal abilities of others in their practice areas. For over three decades, recognition in Best Lawyers has been regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, since an attorney cannot pay to be listed.
May 3, 2018Spotlight
Jackson Walker is pleased to announce 26 attorneys have been ranked in the 2018 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business guide, with four additional attorneys identified as “recognized practitioners.”
September 6, 2017Attorney News
Thomson Reuters has named 53 Jackson Walker attorneys to its 2017 ‘Texas Super Lawyers’ list. According to Thomson Reuters, the list recognizes a “credible, comprehensive and diverse” selection of “outstanding attorneys,” and serves as a resource for those in search of legal counsel.
August 15, 2017Attorney News
Jackson Walker partners Albon Head, Bill Dahlstrom, Bob Latham, Bob Ruckman, Jed Morrison, Jim Pledger, Kurt Nondorf, Michael Knapek, Scott Rose, and Steve Martens have been named “2018 Lawyers of the Year” by The Best Lawyers in America.