Jackie C. Staple
Jackie Staple, an attorney in the labor & employment group of Jackson Walker’s Houston office, focuses her practice on advising and counseling companies on employment law compliance and litigating claims arising from the employer-employee relationship. Jackie regularly works with human resources professionals and in-house counsel of companies across multiple industries and has focused knowledge of the manufacturing, transportation, and higher education industries.
As a trusted counselor to her clients, Jackie navigates employers through severance, separation and release, noncompetition, and independent contractor agreements, as well as advises them on a variety of personnel matters, including termination and discipline decisions, discrimination and harassment issues, disability accommodation, leaves of absence, wage and hour issues, and employee privacy, vacation, paid sick time, and PTO policies. Jackie helps employers create and update sound policies and procedures, including multi-state employee handbooks and discrimination policies, to comply with ever-changing employment laws. Jackie has presented manager training in union and non-union workplaces, and she has served as an independent investigator of internal employee complaints regarding various issues.
What Jackie enjoys most about her practice is navigating employers through the administrative process before agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and similar state agencies, having efficiently handled numerous charges across the country.
When litigation is unavoidable, Jackie calls upon her background in education and the arts, as well as her litigation experience, to prepare clients for trial. Jackie has defended employers in lawsuits involving allegations of sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, whistleblowing, breach of employee covenants, misappropriation of trade secrets, and breach of employment contracts. Specifically, she has handled matters related to Title VII, FLSA, ADA/ADAAA, ADEA, FMLA, NLRA, and state laws.
B.S., cum laude, Case Western Reserve University
M.A., Case Western Reserve University
J.D., summa cum laude, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law
- Cleveland State Law Review
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Jackie’s experience handling labor & employment issues for clients includes, but is not limited to:
- Litigating employment claims, including managing the discovery process and drafting dispositive motions
- Securing summary judgment in multiple employment discrimination cases
- Taking and defending depositions of parties and witnesses
- Conducting investigations of employee discrimination, harassment, and retaliation complaints, including interviewing witnesses and preparing findings reports
- Drafting independent contractor, employment, and severance agreements, and bonus programs
- Drafting and reviewing employment plans, trainings, employee handbooks, and policies
- Defending against complaints and charges filed against employers with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, National Labor Relations Board, and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration